10 Blogging Trends All Successful Digital Marketers Follow
The internet is awash with blogging advice that has been around for years (decades in some cases). So in today’s article we are going to talk about the main 10 blogging trends that all successful digital marketers follow.
Digital marketing moves at a rapid pace. The problem for the average blogger is that a lot of this advice is now sadly outdated.
With information-overload, how do you separate the has-been advice from the proven tricks that are still going to help you grow your blog in 2021? And what new strategies should you start using this year?
Here are the ten blogging trends that all digital marketers should be following in 2021 if they want to be successful.
Trend #1: Repurpose Old Content Into Audio and Video
There is nothing more frustrating for a blog owner than spending hours on a great post, only to see it fade into the archives as it didn’t get the traction it deserved.
Thankfully, all is not lost. You can salvage that hard work.
- Repurposing means taking old content and republish it in a new format. You could republish it as a video or a podcast and help to rank it on YouTube, for example.
- You can even repurpose content by creating a “best-of” blog. List your top 10 blog posts on a particular topic, and publish that as a brand new blog post.
- Google values fresh content. If you want to rank highly, then repurposing is a great way to quickly add new posts to your blog, especially when you are short on time.
- Top bloggers realized the potential for repurposing content and have set this trend over the past two years. Expect this strategy to become more commonplace in 2021 as more blog owners discover the benefits.
When it comes to tried-and-tested SEO strategies, repurposing should be at the top of your list. It is one of the best ways to boost traffic online and improve the value you provide to your readers. Give it a try on your next post.
Trend #2: Long-Form Content With Short-Form Takeaways
According to Backlinko, the average length of a post on the first page of Google is now 1447 words. What’s more, that number is increasing year-on-year, as people place a higher value on in-depth, informative content.
- As a blogger, you must focus on content that is of high value. It must serve a purpose. Guides and how-tos with plenty of rich information are what your reader wants.
- If you haven’t written a lengthy post before, try the Skyscraper technique. This technique is well-known in SEO circles as a proven way to provide a valuable piece of content to your reader that also ranks well on Google.
- Add on even more valuable content by creating a short-form takeaway at the end of the post. That allows people to copy and paste some of the most information they have learned.
Alternatively, provide a summary graphic or infographic.
This strategy helps to get their eyes on your content for longer. It will help your readers remember who you are and why they need to return to your blog in the future.
Trend #3: Scannable Formatting With Eye-Catching Graphics
According to Oracle, our attention span in 2000 was 15 seconds but has since dropped to a measly 8 seconds.
- If you want your blog to stand out in 2021 and beyond, you have to be able to grab a reader’s attention and quickly. Do that by formatting your content so that it is easier to scan.
- Keep paragraphs short, use lists and bullet points, and use big, bold text to highlight key points. And don’t forget to use plenty of headings and subheadings.
- When you’ve allowed your reader to scan your content, keep your topics focused and to the point. If you offered an answer to a question in the title, make sure you answer that question in full.
Boost the value of your content by adding eye-catching infographics. It will summarize your content in a beautiful, visual format.
Finally, make sure you provide a captivating intro that will let the reader know what answers you’ll give them within the post. When someone starts reading, they will want to know quickly if the content is worth their time.
Trend #4: Guest Posting Is Back (With a Twist)
In 2014, Matt Cutts famously told the world: “Stick a fork in it. Guest blogging is done.”
- At that time, guest blogging had a reputation for being spammy. As Google’s head of webspam, Matt was sharing how Google intended to handle this type of tactic when ranking websites.
- Seven years on, and it’s safe to say this prediction has not aged well. Guest blogging is still a popular SEO strategy. But it has matured considerably from the type of spam-heavy SEO tactic mentioned by Matt Cutts.
- Guest posting 2021-style is all about showcasing your authority to the world. Create guest posts on high-traffic influencer sites. Your goal here isn’t to accumulate backlinks but to put your skills and knowledge in front of a big audience.
Becoming a featured writer for a well-known authority or brand will help you get direct referrals. Use the opportunity to write authoritative, detailed posts.
Don’t forget to invite big influencers to do a guest spot on your blog too. Showcasing your more famous online connections to your audience can help boost your profile.
Trend #5: Drill-Down Specialist Blog Topics
Blogging advice a few years ago was to add ‘recommended posts’ at the bottom of each article. These recommendations enticed your reader to enter the rabbit-warren of information you had on your site.
When it came to selecting a recommended article, bloggers often went for their most popular blog posts or topics that were in some way related.
- However, there is a new trend popping up on blogs now. That trend is to use these related post links to add a more in-depth advanced post on the same topic.
The logic behind this is simple enough. If someone discovers you through a Google search, they are likely to need a question answering. If you do that, they will want to explore the topic further.
- Those drill-down specialist posts that you write help position you as an expert in the field. The trick is to focus on broad topics for your ‘entry-level’ blog post and write some specific niche topics in the related posts.
If you are trying to build an email list, you can use content upgrades for these detailed drill-down posts.
Trend #6: Ranking for Voice Search
In 2020, over 60% of smartphone users claimed to have used voice search at least once.
- On top of that, the rising popularity of smart speakers in the home, such as Siri and Alex, means that voice search is becoming prevalent in everyday life. That trend will continue as more people adopt this technology worldwide.
- As a blogger, this means you need to think strategically about how you can use this trend in your digital marketing efforts. A good starting point is to optimize your content for voice search.
- Voice searches are slightly different from typed searches. They tend to be longer, and people tend to phrase these searches as a full question. Use this information to create question-based content on your website.
Make sure you are concise and accurate in answering these questions. Make this information easy for Google to crawl.
Trend #7: Optimize Your Content for Google Snippets
Google Snippets are those small bits of information that appear at the topic of some search results pages. They are often provided on question searches when the answer is easy for Google to present on the main results page.
These are prime spots on Google’s virtual estate. So many prominent bloggers are now optimizing for Google Snippets.
- Getting your website on a Google Snippet means you are ranking higher than the organic #1 spot. That gives you a fantastic boost to your organic traffic and your credentials as an authority on a subject.
As Snippets tend to answer questions, make sure you phrase keywords as questions. Provide a short answer in much the same way as you would optimize for voice searches.
Good keyword research will let you uncover the most popular questions within your niche. Use this research as your starting point when creating content for Google Snippets.
Trend #8: Narrowing Your Blog Niche
If you are new to blogging or intend to launch a new blog in 2021, think about going for a highly-niched blog topic if you want to succeed in this industry.
Blogging is becoming more competitive as simple technology, plus cheap hosting reduces barriers to entry.
- However, the sheer size of the global audience available to you means you don’t have to opt for the most competitive and profitable topics to be successful. A tiny niche can still bring huge rewards.
- Plus, a small niche will stand out from everything else out there. Once you connect with the perfect audience and write topics that are the best fit for that niche, it will make it far easier to grow your blog.
Small niches are an opportunity right now that you can’t miss. That is especially true if you have a passion or specialist knowledge in a topic that does not have many competitors.
Trend #9: Tribe-Driven Blogging
Gone are the days where you can blog to make money. Sure, you can technically still make money. But if that’s your sole purpose, then you might struggle to discover how to grow your blog.
The truth is, people nowadays want a deeper connection to what they discover online.
- People don’t just want experts. And they don’t just want people who can write. They want leaders. People with strong values and ethics. People who take a stand, even when it goes against the grain.
- People want someone they can look up to, who is in this to build a tribe and a close-knit community, rather than a nameless lead with a potential ROI.
- These leaders set the standard rather than following it. They are upfront when asking to collect data or email addresses, not subtle. They don’t just present knowledge; they share a belief.
If you want to succeed in digital marketing in 2021, be a blogging leader.
Trend #10: Data-Driven Blogging
Analytics tools have come a long way. Google Analytics, for example, is no longer a simple tool for you to track clicks to your website.
- Nowadays, you can track entire paths that a visitor can take when they are on your website. And you can use that to optimize your website and build a profitable business model in record time.
- That data-driven model is what many people are doing at the moment to grow their online businesses. It is one of the most significant digital blogging trends for 2021 to watch.
- Use data to figure out what is working well on your blog, and do more of that. Try A/B split testing to check out two different strategies side by side. Use that data to make improvements to your website or your content.
- Discover the content that is getting not just the most clicks but the best engagement. Use data to work out what content is encouraging people to sign up to your email list.
You can also use heatmap technology to discover how people react to your design, branding, and site layout. Use this data to create a more heavily optimized design as part of your digital marketing strategy.
These Key Blogging Trends Are Easy To Adopt
The common theme with each of these ten blogging trends is that any blogger, whatever stage of your business, can begin to apply these tactics to their business.
Don’t let your business get behind in 2021. A fast-moving marketing strategy is what you need to get ahead. Getting on top of trends before your competitors do is critical if you want to make blogging a success.
If you want one-to-one advice on blogging tips in 2021, start a conversation with us today by completing our contact form. Let us know what stage of your blogging journey you are at, and we will reach out to you.